If you have seen ever online slots advertised on the internet and thought to yourself that they look like fun and you would like to try them out, there is also a good chance that you have wondered “Is playing online slots legal in the UK?”
Afterall, if you have never tried to find out before and have never previously been too interested in online gambling, you are not going to know, are you?
To keep it as simple as possible – the answer is yes, all forms of online gambling is completely legal in the UK. It is only illegal to do if you are not above the legal gambling age which as many of you will know, is 18 years old.
Watch Where You Play
However, while gambling in the UK is legal for us as players, this does not mean that there are not any pitfalls that you should be aware of.
By pitfalls, we mean the online casinos that you are going to be playing at. Not all of them are trustworthy and some are not even regulated by an upstanding regulatory authority.
Any casino that wants to supply its online casino games to UK players has to either:
- Be regulated by the UK Gambling Commission.
- Be regulated by an authority that the UK Gambling Commission knows that will offer very similar regulations to them and therefore allows casino under their authority to offer their services in the UK.
Regulatory authorities that fall under B, are that of Alderny, Barbuda, Antigua, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Malta. Any of licensing authority does not have the authority of the UKGC to let their online casinos provide services to UK players.
For that reason, check the footer of every online casino you go to and make sure that the licensing information that should be stated on it, shows that they are licensed by one of the above or even better – the UKGC themselves.
What To Look For In An Online Casino
Now that you know that online gambling is legal in the UK and have heeded the warning about which types of online casinos to play at – you will now be wondering what you should be looking for when choosing an online casino.
Here are some quick tips:
- Lucrative welcome bonus – these should always be considered as in some cases you can get a good match deposit bonus on your first few deposits and also some free spins in some cases.
- Mobile-friendliness – Most online casinos can be played easily via a browser these days but if you play a lot using mobile devices, you might want to consider playing at an online casino that has a dedicated app version.
- Good collection of games – Depending on whether you like playing slots, casino table games, LIVE dealer games, video poker or games like bingo – you will want to find an online casino that has a vast selection of your favourite types.
- Good payout speeds – Once you have won some money, the last thing you want to have to do is wait weeks on end for it to get into your bank account. Lookout for online casinos that are renowned for having fast transaction speeds – particularly withdrawals.
- Regular bonuses – While welcome bonuses are great, you can only use them once. SO ideally, you want to find online casinos that also run regular bonuses and promotions for their loyal players too and not just the new players they are trying to entice into signing up.
- Top-quality customer service – Nothing grates more than poor customer service where it feels like you are getting nowhere when trying to resolve an issue. An online casino that has responsive, friendly and dedicated customer support staff and a variety of support channels to contact them – might just save you a lot of hassle sometime down the road.
Online Casinos That You Can Enjoy From The UK
We have a number of online casinos that we favour when it comes to our own online gambling action and below we have listed four of them. All of them are regulated and licensed by one of the regulatory authorities above whether it is the UK Gambling Commission or one of the other regulatory authorities that they allow to offer gambling services to UK based players.
William Hill (Sign Up Here)
There is very little doubt that if you are from the UK and are looking for an online casino that accepts UK players, you would have heard of a certain brand called William Hill. They have bookmakers down nearly every street it seems and is one of the most famous (and oldest) gambling operators in the UK.
Here is what you can look forward to from the William Hill Casino:
- Well-known UK brand
- Four-tiered lucrative VIP scheme
- Good choice of payment options
- 200 GBP welcome bonus to take advantage of
On top of those obvious benefits, you will also have a wide range of entertainment options at William Hill. Not only do you have casino games, slots games, progressive jackpot games and other instant win games but you can also place sports bets and even play poker on William Hill.
Seriously, if you cannot trust the brand name of William Hill – who can you trust?
Mr Green (Sign Up Here)
Mr Green might not be a big and well-known brand in the UK but it is certainly a well-known online casino on the internet and a consistent award-winning one at that.
You only have to use the search engines to find this out for yourself as this casino has won awards such as the Mobile Casino of the Year Award back in 2016.
Take a look at what Mr Green Casino is all about:
- More than 400 slots games to enjoy
- Multiple award-winning online casinos
- Average RTO of 97%
If you are planning to use your mobile devices as the main platform to enjoy yourselves at the online casinos, this is an area in particular where Mr Green excels (hence that award).
Not only is it great for mobile players but even if you play on the PC you will be able to take advantage of other big benefits such as a welcome bonus worth up to €100 and 200 free spins!
Betfair (Sign Up Here)
Now you must have heard of Betfair? Their adverts always seem to be on the television and they, like William Hill, are an established gambling operator that has been around for a very long time.
They have also moved their operations online as technology has advanced and they now have one of the best online casinos out there right now.
Whats in store for you at Betfair:
- Amazing average RTP of 98.2%
- Available to play through browser or downloadable app
- Been online for more than a decade
- 200% welcome bonus of up to £400
At Betfair, not only do you get to take advantage of all of the above but you also get to enjoy a substantial slots catalogue that has mainly been provided by Playtech, easily one of the best developers of online casino games.
We love this online casino and just know that you will too once you try it out.
LeoVegas (Sign Up Here)
LeoVegas is easily one of our favourite online casinos as it excels in so many departments.
It has a massive welcome bonus, has won awards on many occasions, can be played as an app or via the browser and it has some of the very best slots games that you are ever likely to see.
Classic slots, progressive slots, themed slots and just about every type of slot game that you can imagine.
Look what is on offer at LeoVegas:
- €1600 + 200 free spins as a tiered-welcome bonus
- Customer support all day, every day, all year
- Eclectic mix of online slots
- Super-fast payouts
Leovegas also won the award for being the Best Online Casino Operator just last year in 2017 – casinos don’t win awards unless they are good and boy is LeoVegas good.
We do hope that this article has managed to answer all of your queries about online gambling in the UK and the sort of online casinos you should be looking to play at.
We are fortunate that in the when it comes to online gambling as the answer to your question “Is playing online slots legal in the UK?” would suggest – simply because in many other countries it is actually illegal.
We get to play in our favourite slots, enjoy taking a few risks and hopefully coming away a winner of some nice and sizeable wins.
You never know, we might even walk away with a huge jackpot that could just change our lives forever.
The best part is that we do not even get taxed by the government on any winnings that we earn when enjoying our online gambling!